Pages

Translate

Friday, November 18, 2011

Date Your CPAP


I have mild-moderate sleep apnea for which I was prescribed a CPAP machine to help control my breathing by forcing air into my nose as I sleep.  CPAP masks come in different shapes and my particular machine has two soft "pillows" that fit snuggly over my nostrils. The mask is connected to a long hose that is itself connected to a machine.  Try talking while you have the CPAP on and you will no doubt sound like Darth Vader, but other than the occassional slippage of air, the machine is pretty quiet.  Unfortunately, it is still a bit awkward and can take some time to get used to.

Two days after trying out a CPAP I had to go on a Complete Care Leadership site visit and I must have looked pretty wiped out from not sleeping because the CPAP was so awkward.  Tim Ho gave me some excellent advice though after asking me a couple personal questions.  The first question was... "Would you sleep with someone you just met or would you wait to get to know them?"  Of course I said "NO" (my husband can confirm that response).  His next question was "How would you get to know them better?"  "Dinner, movie, cuddled up on the couch, etc."  Dr. Ho's advice then followed... "You need to DATE your CPAP.  Get to know how it feels by using it during the day or the evening while watching TV, reading a book, etc.  Don't go to bed with it for at least 7 dates (one week)." 

I did as Tim instructed and have found great success.  Now it doesn't feel awkward or like a stranger to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment