Pages

Translate

Saturday, May 12, 2012

White Coat

Artist: Regina Holliday "Listen To Me"
Sitting across from you as you wear a white coat of armour 
Backed by your training and elite medical degree
My hope lies in your knowledge, skill, and training
While my world lies painfully dying in room 603
As I stare at your family's portrait behind you
Hanging protectively in an expensive wooden frame
I wonder if you know your patient has children too
If you care to know the soul behind the name?


Stethoscope stuffed deep in your white coat pocket
Tools to help you hear how every heart beats
My heart is breaking as it races with desperation
Distractions interrupt us, forcing me to compete
This time you set aside as office hours
That I thought would be dedicated to me
Has been stolen by conversations with others
Not one concern for the patient in room 603


I beg you for explanations and definitions
Of words too complicated for me to even spell
Searching for answers to the numerous questions
Needing a partner to help us through this hell
With you I get no answers... no compassion
So we transfer care to another white coat team
The medical record I had to fight you for
Granted so easily to them, as if part of some crazy scheme


I stand here with memories to keep me strong
Sharing our experience with others on Capital Hill
Voices, faces, and stories painted on jackets
So others can learn and remember them still
Supported by others who join the fight for change
Politicians, patients, family members, and doctors too
Today I'll be painting one more story
On the back of a white coat to remember you


Dediciated to Regina and Fred Holliday


To participate in the Walking Gallery Event on June 4th, 2012 click here

For more information on the Walking Gallery and Regina Holliday's Medical Advocacy Blog click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment