Pages

Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

When The Stars, The Moon, and Planet Align


Our church has a Visiting Teaching program where the women (or as we call each other "sisters") are assigned another female in our congregation to visit on a monthly basis with the purpose of watching out for them and their family, befriending them, and helping wherever needed. I recently asked our leaders if I could be assigned to visit a specific sister in our ward. She and I often sit next to each other in Sunday school and, even though there is a 10 year age difference, we have similar interests. She is a Kaiser member who also happens to be a diabetic and, like me, struggles with weight issues. In our last visit, after a discussion about how hard it is to get out and exercise after work, we made a pact to walk together instead of sitting and visiting. Using a Dr. Sallis tone, I reminded her that "Walking, even if in small increments, is the single most important thing she(we) can do to improve her(our) health."  She promised to try and walk whenever possible.

Recently, her PCP left KP and she was sent a letter saying she would have to find another. She asked me if I could recommend someone from the Pasadena clinic. I told her I wasn't sure if Dr. David Morris's panel was open or not, but that was who I would choose. Last Sunday she shared with me that she had gone on to KP.Org to use the Find a Physician feature and found that Dr. Morris' panel was indeed open. She selected him and was VERY surprised when his nurse called within 10 minutes to say "Dr. Morris would like to schedule an appointment to meet you and review your medical history." 

Just a few short days later, she went in for her appointment. "The nurse asked me if I was exercising and I was really happy to say that I was walking for a total of 30 minutes a day 5 days a week!" she said with great satisfaction. She told me that the nurse showed her on the computer screen that she needed to have a mammogram and a diabetic foot exam then she helped her book an appointment for a mammogram and asked her to take off her shoes and socks before leaving a "cute little poker thing" on the keyboard for the doctor.  When Dr. Morris came in the room he went over all of her medications with her. She is still on Actos so Dr. Morris explained that we were trying to move patients off of Actos because of the bladder cancer issues. She told him she was aware of the concerns but felt like she had really good control of her numbers and didn't want to come off yet. She commented to me that she appreciated having a conversation about her medications instead of being told what to do. They talked about how she will eventually need to start insulin and she told him she didn't think that she would EVER be able to do that so she was going to do whatever she could to avoid it. He asked her about exercising and she said "I walk because Kristen Andrews made me promise I would try." It surprised me when she said this because I didn't know I was one of the reasons she was walking which reminds me just how important it is that we speak up to our friends, neighbors, colleagues, and family about importance and simplicity of walking whenever and wherever possible. She also asked him if she should get a shingles immunization (something else I may have gently suggested because of her medical history and age). He told her she was just the right age to get the immunization and ordered it for her. She rolled up her sleeve to show me a little red mark. "See... Proof! That sucker hurt!"

After scheduling our next walking visit for the next day we opened up our hymn book to start our Sunday School session. Right before the conductor raised her right arm to lead the music, my dear friend leaned over and whispered "You didn't tell me Dr. Morris was so darn cute! That was a real plus!" What can I say... we aim to please.

Tim Ho has a phrase that he uses to describe a visit where everything goes right. He says it is like the "Stars, moon, and planets line up and the agenda of the patient, the agenda of the physician/staff, and even the agenda of the organization provide an opportunity for change." Dr. Morris and his staff created a moment like this for their patient... my friend. It's these kind of stories that make my heart beam with pride. This is how we make a difference and help improve the lives of each person that comes through our door. Saving lives... together... one person at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Great story of person focused care that just makes me smile :) Thanks Kristen.

    ReplyDelete