Pages

Translate

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Well Taken Care Of

It started as just another day for me
Nothing special, significant, or grand
One more visit to the doctors office
For these lungs that can't meet their demand


Greeted with a smile and a warm heart
Tina's kindness was comforting and genuine
As she performed the test on my lungs
She reminds me it's time for a mammogram... again


I told her I really hate that painful squeezing
and I didn't have the time anyway
What if I made it easy for you 
and could get you in right away?


I said I would give it some thought
Her persistence was gentle but persuading
She walked me over to mammography
Leaving absolutely no chance of me evading


A suspicious area is what they said
A biopsy would soon follow
I found my way back to Tina 
Tears made it so hard to swallow


Another visit to the oncologist 
We caught it just in time
A lumpectomy and no need for chemo
I was going to be just fine


The excitement filled my heart with joy
Someone special I needed to find
She was the one who saved my life
Who gave me this peace of mind


No "What If's" for me to worry about
All because of Tina's gentle shove
Everyone was kind and caring
I felt so well taken care of


Thank you to all my partners in health
I know these words will never do
But my gratitude is deep and overflowing
I will live because of you


Written by me for a patient of ours who needed help expressing how she felt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea why you are such a strong advocate of mammography! I think it's true even for even those of us in health care~Peer Support and Encouragement can actually save our life.

    Again your transparency is both remarkable and valuable.
    Cheers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually the story of Susan, a Kaiser Permanente patient, who I was fortunate enough to speak with yesterday as she related her care experience. I am a strong advocate of always doing the right thing and anything that will help save or improve the quality of a life.

    Thanks for being you and all of your support.

    ReplyDelete